Monday, September 3, 2007

Soundtracks of life

So I was reflecting on a question I was asked a few years back which was kind of odd, "If your life was a movie, who would you have do the soundtrack? what type of soundtrack would it be? Would it be pop music? Original score? A Mix?"

At the time I took this question as a weird way to ask about your favorite music and performers. I have kind of thought about it though. I think my music would have to be a mix of original score and popular music. To answer this question accurately, you have to make an important life decision. Is your life going to be a comedy or a drama in the eyes of the audience. Is it an adventure? Who's directing your life? Is it an independent "film"? Is it a dark movie? Would Tim Burton be involved in the project? If So, you're going to have to hire Danny Elfman. So how epic has your life been? Will it require a full orchestration to support your story? Or is it more personal and a simple piano score would get the job done?

This question though is an odd one for musicians, because music is part of their life, so their own performances and pieces would have to be included in their story. So with all this being said lets break it down.

I'm a fairly solitary person, socially, so I can't see a full orchestra being needed, and considering I live a pretty unique life path, John Williams definitely is out. So is Howard Shore.

I have quite stretched musical tastes, very diverse, so I will need a music supervisor to pick music from the musicals I've done to convey different periods of my life. Some favorite musical music includes Secret Garden, Guys and Dolls, Fiddler on the Roof, Seussical (laugh all ya want, theres some fun brass parts), and Gypsy. Some symphonic works will have to be included due to playing in an orchestra, so I would have to have some Beethoven and Howard Hanson quoted. And since I've recently started going to rock concerts, some 80's Hair rock will have to thrown in. Pretty artsy movie we got so far.

Being a pretty unique person, you can't have too much already made music in the soundtrack. Most of the track will have to be original score. I am thinking Thomas Newman, of American Beauty and Shawshank Redemption fame to put together the score for my movie. I think his music would be able to put some sense and feeling into what I do with myself. I would be interested in who you people would pick for yours and why. I think my soundtrack would have to include one track by the Killers though, simply because I'm a fan. Also some Queen, maybe even get the DT involved. Oh, and of course, Orange Snowball.

So lets summarize:
The original score would be for small ensemble, composed by Thomas Newman
It would contain tracks from OAP, DT, Killers, and Queen.
Some moments of Beethoven and Howard Hanson to include my classical work.
Maybe a song or two from Gypsy, Guys and Dolls, Secret Garden, Fiddler, or Seussical

Man I think that really sums up my life by analyzing my musical tastes...crazy!

Peace and hope everyone had a good three day break.

No comments: