Wednesday, September 5, 2007

CD Review - Symphony X

As my musical tastes expand and become more public, I had decided to review CDs in this blog. This is the first one.

Symphony X, a progress and symphonic metal band, recently released "Paradise Lost". I was initially drawn into listening to this album by admiring its incredible album art while processing new A/V at the library. The art is stunning and moving, I cannot describe it more than that.


I took a listen to it last night. Very good stuff, I highly recommend it. Very clean section transitions are highlighted with some of the most bad ass shredding on lead guitar this side of Slash. A few tracks in the middle commit musical suicide (fade out instead of a composed ending...I don't like that) but overall, everything is powerful. The album starts off with an instrumental composed by their guitarist, Michael Romeo. His ability to orchestrate is quite impressive. He may want to even think about trying his hand at classical composition, due to his great ear for timbre. This band, which was no shock of mine, is about to go on a European tour with who else, but Dream Theater. I definitely plan to take a listen to their older albums. This band is very odd I think in promoting the solo efforts of its members as well. I think thats commendable. So I give this CD an 8.5 out of 10. They could have gotten higher if they played a little bit more on top of the beat to create a better driving feel. Most of their songs are played on the back end of the beat like rock and swing, but this CD was a definite welcomed surprise.

I started work on an arrangement of Good King Wenceslas. It kicks too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.