Sunday, October 28, 2007

An Oasis amongst the sand

As some of my loyal readers know, I took a little vacation a week or so ago to get my head back together, collect my thoughts and come back swinging. Due to poor preparation, I found myself musically isolated for a week. I was trapped in Ocean City, MD with nothing of quality on the radio, no CDs and my iPod left comfortably on my computer desk. There wasn't even VH1 on the hotel tv system, and the hotel restaurant during breakfast played nothing but canned jazz. I struggled to find any source of rewarding sound, not even expecting music. I cruised every ad I could for hopes of a local bar having a band, an outdoor festival, anything. I found none of these, for i was in a resort city off season.

The sound of the ocean, calming, rewarding, at night with a slight wind almost sang like a soprano to me and charmed me. It relaxed me to the point of my insomnia almost was cured. Coming home and back into the stressful environment of my life, dragging me away from the cliched siren song of the sea, sent my sleep back into peril. It threatened the existance of this blog even. But I am back to writing and I apologize for the delay.

This has been an interesting weekend. I went to a house warming party and was re-united with one Nate Knauer. He was a someone who I kind of looked to for inspiration early in my college music career. He was one of the first people that made actually feel like I belonged with the musicians and that I had ability. One of my first recitals was actually performing a piece of his on his junior composition recital. I had not seen this guy in about 5 years. He immediately remembered that he still had two CDs of mine and the demo recording of my old brass quintet. We talked for a good hour getting caught up on each others musical activities. It was refreshing to know I still had a connection there and someone was genuinely glad to know I was still involved in music.

My quintet has me a bit nervous and concerned. They seem to not be paying attention to the calendar. Acting kind of lax about a gig being in 2 weeks and we have no set list, and a gig in 6 weeks, 4 actual rehearsals before it, that we haven't read any of the music for yet. Today we did read through the new Christmas carols and they really liked them, but again, we were short a member and rehearsal started 2 hours late. It was incredibly frustrating. I tried to delivery my worry and urgency without being a jerk. I don't want to cause the group to break up, which it felt like it could be close to doing.

This past week, the moment I got home, I banged out two new arrangements, when idea of doing Beatles songs came to me. So Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds and When I'm 64 will be added to our catalog.

Peace and even triplets to you all.

No comments: