Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Ebb and Flow

I have always found it to be true that as the bad happens, the good also counters in some form. This is especially true in my musical life. As some may know, the vocal icon of Robert Goulet left this world Tuesday while waiting for a lung transplant. Goulet was a fabulous singer who got his lucky break from a very tragic happening in this country. Goulet was becoming a vocal sensation on Broadway in the musical "Camelot" in the early 1960's. When President Kennedy was assassinated, Jackie Kennedy was quoted saying how much Mr Kennedy was a fan of the score and the famous line, "Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for one brief shining moment that was known as Camelot." At that point Kennedy's administration was associated with Camelot, which was associated with Goulet's voice, and copies of "If Ever I Should Leave You" flew off the shelves.

I was a fan of his role in "Man of La Mancha" singing "The Impossible Dream". For some reason that song always gets to me. Its not just the words of Dream the Impossible dream, but the optimism and the flow of the melody just suck me right in. Quick side note, Maynard Ferguson made a wicked good recording of this song as well. Goulet's smooth voice though always charmed my ear and listening to the Standards station on Sirius radio, without looking I could pick his voice out with just one word. I will truly miss Robert Goulet.

And on this theme, with the loss of Robert Goulet and the quintet frustrations, I have found myself another band to that of which I will be a "fanboi". This band is called "Dragonforce" They have a modern progressive metal sound, but very classic, mythical, triumphant lyrical pattern, with that great open 4 part vocal sound that "Queen" used to great fame with "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Princes of the Universe". Their lyrics remind me very much of "Princes of the Universe", and "Who Wants to Live Forever", the later "Queen" hits. The "Dragonforce" hit "Fury of the Storm" has been made popular on youtube via "Guitar Hero" custom songs. "Through the Fire and Flames" is also featured in the recently released "Guitar Hero 3" (another positive).

This band uses a someone rare set up, of two lead guitarists, both of them solo, and both of them are pretty cool. Heres their music video for "Through the Fire and Flames".

One of their guitarist has a cool little trademark of his solos: he mimics 8-bit video game sounds.

Well my friends, may your hammer-ons and pull-offs be even, and your strings strong. I wish you peace, and another fond farewell to Robert Goulet.

No comments: