Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fall is the new Spring

Hello loyal readers. I hope this blog finds everyone in good spirit. This entry is about how I find myself surrounded in all sorts of musical happenings this time of year.

The UMBC Symphony has started up again. On our first concert it appears we will be playing Beethoven's 7th, Finlandia by Sibelius, and Selections from Carmen, and Mother Goose Suite. A lot of work, especially the Beethoven which is surprisingly chop busting. The good thing is that so far, its got my transposing chops back in shape! Beethoven is Trumpet in D, and Finlandia is Trumpet in F.

On the quintet front, I finished an arrangement of Money by Pink Floyd which will work nicely to demonstrate the concept of a head sheet in jazz. Our set for October's library Jazz gig (October 5th, 2pm you better be there) is shaping up to be very diverse, with a nice surprise ending. We plan to be educational and entertaining like our Christmas show, which we aren't booked for yet!

On the rock concert itinerary, things are very exciting as I will get to scratch two more acts off my list of "Bands to see before I die". Here's that list, by the way, with stars next to acts I have seen or tickets to see them. Please remember this is of all time so some acts could already be deceased.
10. Miles Davis
9. Queen with Freddie Mercury
8. Maynard Ferguson *
7. Dave Brubeck
6. Iron Maiden *
5. Journey *
4. Ozzy Osborne *
3. AC/DC *
2. The Who *
1. Pink Floyd

So that's right, if you've been paying attention to the Baltimore/Washington concert schedule, AC/DC and the Who are both coming to town in November, and I have tickets to both shows. This Saturday morning, after a very close call, I did score some tickets to AC/DC in the upper deck of the Verizon Center. I am already excited for that show. Luckily some friends had promised that no matter the price, if AC/DC came close, we would go. For $92.50 plus fees for each ticket and relatively short notice of the concert, we are lucky to have seats. Also to add, as a general rule of thumb, the ticketmaster "best available" search does not lie. The Who tickets I bought as a knee jerk reflex. I had no one to go with, I just dropped the $80 plus a piece and decided I'd either find a friend willing to repay or take my mom, as she has not been to a real rock concert since James Brown in early 60's. Mom is super excited to say the least. We've been warming her up on Several Species, a local Pink Floyd tribute group.

There's also some new albums on the horizon. AC/DC, The Killers, Keane, and Queen all have new albums due out in October or November. I'm not pleased that AC/DC is a Wal-Mart exclusive, but that is the trend in business, and I will be there October 20th, probably after work, to pick up my copy. The single, "Rock 'n' Roll Train", is definitely good, and really doesn't sound like they've dropped a step. The Killers and Keane have both teamed up with famed producer Stuart Price to produce their new albums. This definitely got me a little too excited for such pop rock. I love the Killers semi-retro sound, and I just love Keane's driving ballads and lead singers fully, billowy voice. The Queen album, I am nervous about, as I am not a fan of Paul Rogers' voice. I still miss Mr Mercury to this day, but I can't hold it against Queen, and I will certainly buy the album, to hear the instrumental work alone.

The immediate future holds the Renaissance Faire in Crownsville, MD. There's always plenty of interesting music acts at this thing, and normally at least one hidden gem, such as E Muzeki, who was doing covers of classic rock on traditional Greek and eastern instruments. If I find anything I'll report back of course right here.

Well my friends, enough rambling from me. May your ticket convenience fees be low! Good night.

No comments: