Monday, September 29, 2008

Album of Arbitrary Time Period

Hello my good friends. I hope this entry finds you in a good time in your life, health and spirituality. This entry is going to be pretty short as I covered so much in the last entry. I am writing because I did pick up the new album by Dragonforce. "Ultra Beatdown". Dragonforce is one of those guilty pleasures, thanks to their uplifting yet power metal sound. The easiest way to describe them is if Journey and Slayer formed to make some sort of super group.

This album showed a most definite progression in the band. Sure they still play fast but there's a lyricism in it now as the group matures. The keyboards are bit more prominent and another excellent metal ballad (a forgotten art these days, the power ballad) graces this album. Overall, I think they still have a lot of room to grow, composition wise, as their songs still sometimes sound the same. If you're looking for a happy album, but still want to get your metal on, Dragonforce's "Ultra Beatdown" is the way to go.

Summary
Uniqueness: 8
Composition: 7
Vocals: 8
Instrumental: 9
Value: 8
OVERALL: 8.5

Just as a side note, also on that shopping trip, I picked up Rock Band 2 and some vinyl. Rock Band 2 is of course, cool. Great song selection. And if you own Rock Band 1, you can download just about all the tracks for $5 from the original disc. Also all your downloaded tracks still work in Rock Band 2.

As for the vinyl I bought, I found some great stuff, as I bulk up my AC/DC and Journey vinyl collection. I even found my favorite Journey album, "Frontiers" which features "Separate Ways" and "Open Arms". I also found Queen's "Jazz" album. Very cool. I love Bicycle Race. Its interesting that the cuts on that album are slightly different than the ones on the Queen's Greatest Hits album.

Alright my friends, I wish you a good night. Please, October 5th at the Catonsville Library, 2pm. The brass quintet will be rockin' the house! No cover. We'll have treats! Let me know if you need directions!!!

No comments: