Monday, November 17, 2008

Who Made Who, Who Made You

Greetings my friends. I hope this entry as usual finds you in good health and spirit. This blog entry is a recap of the weekend plus an update on future musical happenings with me so it could get a little lengthy.

Saturday night, after enjoying a cheeseburger and a fine German-style märzen microbrew, Laura, Sarah Jo, and I stumbled our way over to the sold out Verizon Center, in Washignton, DC for the AC/DC "Black Ice Tour". I heard the mumblings of the opening act while in the tee-shirt line. "The Answer" didn't sound too bad, so no harsh review from me there. I would have liked to hear them but I conceded with the ladies to head over late and then once I saw the shirts, I just had to have one...or three.

So AC/DC starts the show with an amazingly well crafted, witty animation of the band on a train and its speeding out of control, with none other than a demonized Angus Young piling the coal into the boiler, followed with a brief spot of implying Brian Johnson receiving oral sex on the train. I was proud of the parents who brought their seven year old sons to this show, who were in front of us. Anyways, no moral commentary, we're here to rock. So as the train powers its way to its climax, the screen splits and a giant replica steam locomotive explodes onto stage with pyro and fireworks, and of course, devil horns.

AC/DC runs out and slams into "Rock 'n' Roll Train" from their new album. From there, it was just relentless. Angus's striptease to "The Jack", a crowd sing-along to "You Shook Me All Night Long" and "Back in Black", I was glad I stayed sober for this show as I think they would have killed me. This was again, a highly emotional show for me. I can't tell you how much I like these guys. They never changed their sound, they played their cards right business wise and after 35 years, 28 with Brian Johnson singing, are still kicking ass. "Let There Be Rock" accompanied an extensive solo by Angus Young, where we were treated to see his amazing one hand playing technique, where he holds the fret with his index finger, and strums with the middle finger. I also took a solo on Laura's leg at this point. HA! After leaving stage, and a solid 3 minutes of crowd roar that was just as deafening as the band, a trap door opens and red smoke puffs out, and slowly rises from it is Angus, wearing his trademark devil horns. Once out of the pit, he slams into "Highway To Hell". The crowd, now frothing at the mouth practically, gets a glimpse of 6 cannons lined up across the stage, they just showed up there. You didn't see them roll out or anything. We're totally aware now with what they intend to close the show. "For Those About to Rock! FIRE *insanely loud cannon fire and pyro* We Salute You!". Just an insane set closed with the rock anthem that defines the band. They give back to the audience exactly what they are given. An amazing show. That's all I can say.

So this brings me to the appeal of AC/DC. Its not like the lyrics are deep, but its the composition style, and the fact that they are one of the last blues and riff driven rock bands left. Their composition style always starts with the guitar riff, then the bass, then the lyrics and melody. They build in a different way, and can be an acquired taste. This blues basis, though sometimes not seen due to their powerful playing is reflected in the fact that before they started playing, they were playing old blues recordings from the 1940's and 50's. All with dominant guitar riffs. Just more proof of my theory that bands define themselves by the music of others that they play before performing.

So now with no rock concerts until January with The Killers, we focus on some more tame topics. I have agreed to take on a production of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Forum" at Howard Community College. This is the first time I've done a musical for this much money and it has me a ltitle worried but you know, I just have to have faith in my talent and experience.

This weekend is also looking busy, as the quintet will be playing in a benefit concert for cancer at a church in Pasadena, MD, and then playing in the UMBC Symphony Concert. It will be a chop busting weekend witht he potential to be the most rewarding musical work I've ever done.

I will be going to see "Dr Atomic" by John Adams this Wednesday night. It will be a rebroadcast of the Met's production. Which reminds me, I went to see "Norma" by Bellini this past week. It was so sad, I didn't expect an early Romantic Italian opera to hit me so hard. I almost cried in front of Sarah Jane. Crying in front of a girl at an opera could be disastrous.

And to close up, again, the work party planning committee has commissioned me write up the musical entertainment for the night. Sigh. Gone are the days of just attending and enjoying the company.

Also friends, check out Orange Album Project on iTunes!!! Its been released! Keep an eye also for a review of the new album by Killers.

Well good night friends, and as Bon Scott once said "Lets there be lights, drums, guitar...LET THERE BE ROCK!"

No comments: